MONASTERY – FOUNDATION
The Jasna Gora Monastery was founded in 1382 by Prince Władysław Opolczyk. He brought the Pauline Fathers – monks of the Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit – from the Hungarian Maria Nostra monastery upon Danube. He chose the hill near the newly established city of Częstochowa for their seat. In 1384, he handed over to Paulines the highly venerated image of the Mother of God and Child. Unfortunately, as a result of his conflict with king Władysław Jagiełło, the prince lost his estate, including Częstochowa. However, in 1393, Władysław Jagiełło reestablished the monastery and additionally endowed it. Since then, every Polish monarch surrounded the Jasna Góra monastery with special care.