The Miraculous Image of Our Lady of Jasna Góra – history and description
The image of our Lady of Czestochowa was created in the Mid-13th century as a Balcan icon of the Byzantine Hodogetria type – Mary the Guide and Mediatrix, leading the faithful to Christ. In the second half of the 14th century, due to damage to the painting, a painter of the Sienese School created a new Italo-Byzantine icon on the remains of the previous composition, retaining its initial outline. The image, 121,8 x 81,3 cm in size, was painted on a linden panel base with stuck-on canvas covered with chalk primer, using tempera with gilded elements. On Mary’s right cheek and neck there are characteristic scars – indentations in the primer filled with dark red paint – commemorating an act of iconoclasm performed of 1430.