South wing corridor
In the western part of the southern wing of the monastery, on the side of the viridarium, there is a […]
In the second half of the 14th century, due to damage to the painting, a painter of the Sienese School created a new Italo-Byzantine icon on the remains of the previous composition, retaining its initial outline. The image, 121,8 x 81,3 cm in size, was painted on a linden panel base with stuck-on canvas covered with chalk primer, using tempera with gilded elements. On Mary’s right cheek and neck there are characteristic scars – indentations in the primer filled with dark red paint – commemorating an act of iconoclasm performed of 1430.
In the western part of the southern wing of the monastery, on the side of the viridarium, there is a […]
In the southern wing of the monastery, on the ground floor, there is the Rosary Chapel – a former minor […]
The Rosary Chapel is preceded by a square vestibule covered with a barrel vault. From the northern side, it joins […]
On the northern wall of the room, there is a large, semicircular image made in the Jasna Góra painting workshop […]
At the entrance to the sacristy, on the left, in a rectangular conch vaulted niche, there is a baroque stoup […]
In the eastern part of the vestibule, high on the walls above the entrance into the sacristy, there is a […]
2 historic early baroque portals have been preserved in the vestibule. Rectangular, profiled, with ram’s head pediments and protruding cornices, […]
Between the chapel of the Miraculous Image and the presbytery of the basilica, there is a rectangular room which currently […]
The aforementioned spectacular events bear witness to the intercession of the Mother of God, who constantly mediates for us in […]
In 1979, Katarzyna Wiącek from Lublin suffered from a nerve palsy in her leg. Soon arterial embolism developed and doctors […]
In 1945, Marshal Koniew, commanding the Soviet army, stopped for a few days near Częstochowa to regroup during the march […]
Shortly after the invasion of Poland began, in the first days of September 1939, the Nazis attempted to bomb Jasna […]
The history of Zuzanna Kawecka from Sieradz, described in chronicles, testifies to the fact how important prayer is for the […]
In 1753, a pious man, Tomasz Stanisław Wolski, set off on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. During the sea voyage, the […]
During the Swedish invasion of Poland in 1655, when almost the entire country was occupied by the enemy, the Swedish […]
In 1629, Tatar hordes led by Khan Dzhanibek Gireja invaded Poland, reaching as far as Przemyśl. Many women and children […]
One day in 1609, in the lead and silver mine in Olkusz, there were 5 miners working together. Suddenly there […]
In 1540, in Lubliniec, a tragedy occurred in the family of a butcher, Marcin Lanio. During his absence, his wife […]
The earliest miracle recorded in Jasna Góra is the healing of Jakub Wężyk, the court painter of King Władysław Jagiełło […]
The oldest collection of descriptions of miracles and blessings received through the intercession of Our Lady of Częstochowa preserved in […]
The image of Our Lady of Częstochowa has been considered miraculous from the very beginning. According to its legendary history, […]
In the centre of the altar, directly above the altar slab, there is an architectural tabernacle made of ebony in 1650…
The Jasna Gora Monastery was founded in 1382 by Prince Władysław Opolczyk. He brought the Pauline Fathers – monks of the Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit…
The Pauline Fathers were brought from Hungary to Jasna Góra by the founder of the monastery, Prince Władysław Opolczyk. Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit…
In the nave of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, near the first southern (right) pillar, there is an early Baroque pulpit, made around 1644 as part of the fittings of the newly built nave body, later supplemented with Rococo ornaments.
The decorative parament (hanging) of the frontal part of the altar slab, the so-called antependium was made around 1717, probably on the occasion of crowning the Miraculous Image.
The music loft in which the organ is placed, located in the western wall between the matronea of the aisles, was constructed together with the nave body of the chapel of the Miraculous Image in 1644.
The image of our Lady of Czestochowa was created in the Mid-13th century as a Balcan icon of the Byzantine Hodogetria type
Out of the Baroque paintings created together with the stucco decoration of the nave of the chapel in the years 1683-1689
Out of the Baroque paintings created together with the stucco decoration of the nave of the chapel in the years 1683-1689,
The whole altar is adorned with 152 decorative elements of silver – architectural details, ornaments and figures.
Following the theft and damage to the painting in 1430, king Władysław Jagiełło founded gilded silver plates which cover the halos of Mary and Child
On the southern (right) wall of the chapel, in the aisle, on the side of the vestibule, there is the epitaph of Jan Klemens Branicki, who died in 1657.
The altar is topped with a full figure sculpture of Virgin Mary with Child, portrayed as the Apocalyptic Madonna.
The altar is decorated with 5 pairs of silver figures of angels. Two pairs – one of them standing on pedestals with candlesticks in their hands
Initially, in the semicircular niches over the gates of the ambulatory behind the altar there were silver figures
On the upper floor of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, the so-called “Golgotha of Jasna Góra is presented
Since the second half of the the eighteenth century, the exposition and screening of the Miraculous Image was accompanied by intradas
Mary Mother of God and Jesus have gowns and crowns put over the Miraculous Image. In 1717, on the holiday
The nave body of the chapel of the Miraculous Image is a three-nave, three-span basilica, square in plan
The developing veneration of the Miraculous Image and growing number of arriving pilgrims made it necessary to enlarge the chapel.
The presbytery of the chapel of the Miraculous Image is separated from the nave by a decoratively wrought grille
n the 18th century altar of Crucified Christ in the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there is a wooden crucifix made by an anonymous master of the late 15th century.
In the vestibule under the north-eastern corner, there is the entrance to the burial crypt located under the main nave of the chapel.
The tradition of covering the walls of the presbytery of the Chapel of the Miraculous Image with wrought leather wallpaper dates back
The presbytery and the nave of the chapel of the Miraculous Image are adorned with a set of 12 silver baroque eternal lamps.
A pilgrim heading directly for the chapel of the Miraculous Image enters it through a two-storey vestibule.
The “Back Painting” of the Miraculous Image was executed by Izydor Krasuski, the then Provincial of the Pauline Fathers in Poland
On the southern (right) wall of the chapel there is the tombstone of Helena Warszycka nee Wiśniowiecka
On the eastern wall, from the north side, that is, on the left side of the presbytery, there is a tombstone of Father Stanisław Krajewski,
On the southern wall of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there is the tombstone
On the eastern wall, from the south side, that is, on the right side of the presbytery, there is a tombstone of Stanisław Warszycki,
In the aisles of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there are 17th-century tombstones of Polish magnates
The tradition of pilgrims coming to Jasna Góra is walking around the altar with the Miraculous Image
In 1882, baroque paintings by Karol Dankwart, located on the vault of the nave and the archivolts of the matronea in the chapel of the Miraculous Image were replaced with an eclectic series of images of saints.
On the eastern wall of the nave, directly above the rainbow arch separating the presbytery, there is a painting depicting the siege of Jasna Góra by the Swedish in 1655…
On the upper floor of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there is a magnificent painting entitled “Vows of Jan Kazimierz”…
In the southern (right) aisle, on the eastern wall – that is, on the side of the presbytery of the chapel of the Miraculous Image – there is the altar of Crucified Christ.
On the northern (left) wall of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, in a glazed niche…
On the pillars of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, numerous commemorative plaques are located, which commemorate the acts of martyrdom of Polish people from the time of World War II, the Solidarity and Scout movements, as well as veteran’s votive offerings.
For many centuries, pilgrims coming to Jasna Góra made votive offerings to the Miraculous Image, with requests for intercession or thanksgiving for the graces experienced.
Almost all the chapel interior, apart from the places assigned for votive offerings, is filled with stucco work – decorations made of special mortar.
A unique and very personal votive offering is the cassock belt worn by Saint John Paul II on the day he was shot in the assassination attempt…
On the right side of the altar,, in the chapel of the Miraculous Image, 3 Gold Roses are kept – the greatest papal award…
On the left side of the altar, next to the frame of the Miraculous Image, there are royal insignia – a sceptre and an orb – a gift of the Polish Women’s Association,
The tradition of covering venerated images goes back to the Middle Ages. Initially, expensive fabrics were used for the purpose…
The northern matroneum in the nave body of the chapel of the Miraculous Image performed the function of the choir […]
On the walls of the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there are 14 Stations of the Cross from the turn of the 19th century, in the form of paintings on wooden panels.
Before entering the chapel of the Miraculous Image, we need to pass through the so-called vestibule, a two-storey pillared cloister adjacent from the west.
The interior of the presbytery is adorned with wall paintings. The oldest of them, created in the 16th century, located on the north (left) wall, depict the Annunciation and the Flight to Egypt.
The oldest part of the chapel of the Mother of God is the presbytery, in which the altar of the Miraculous Image is located.
From the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, three portals dating from 1643 lead to the nave structure. They were designed by the Italian Giovanni Battista Gisleni, royal architect.
On the slab of the altar of Our Lady of Sorrows is the chapel of the Miraculous Image, on a marble pedestal, there is a Gothic sculpture of Pieta – the Deposition.
There are memorabilia connected with the jubilee of the one-thousandth anniversary of the christening of Poland, which are kept in the chapel of the Miraculous Image.
In the third span of the nave structure of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, near the pillars, there is the last pair of side altars.
The pipe organ currently located in the music loft in the chapel of the Miraculous Image opposite to the altar is a modern instrument, made by the Kamińscy company from Warsaw in the years 1988-1989.
In the side altars in the second span of the nave structure of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there are Baroque paintings preserved, set in ornamental frames…
The altar, which now houses the Miraculous Image, was founded by the Great Crown Chancellor Jerzy Ossoliński.
In the second span of the nave structure of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, near the pillars, there is a pair of Pseudo-Baroque side altars…
In the northern (left) aisle, on the eastern wall, that is, on the side of the presbytery of the chapel of the Miraculous Image, there is the altar our Lady of Sorrows…