Pobierz aplikację na telefon

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS AND THE NATIVITY OF THE MOTHER OF GOD

The Baroque chapel of Saint Anthony of Padua is located in the basement of the northern (left) annex to the tower, erected approximately in the years 1617-1620. Rectangular, cross-barrel vaulted, it is accessible from the side of the vestibule situated under the tower. On the left, there is a window with a semicircular topping, while on the right here is a semicircular niche with a walled passage leading into the northern aisle of the basilica. There is an altar opposite the entrance. After the church fire in 1690, it was given an entirely new decor – stucco decorations, probably made by Albert Bianco workshop, as well as polychromies. In 1760, a high marmorised pedestal with panels was made, encircling the walls, created by artists from Wrocław, employed at the time to decorate the church.

Bishop’s throne

In the presbytery, under the southern (right) wall there is a magnificent bishop’s throne, made around 1750 by Friar Sebastian Antoni Rotter…

Pulpit

In the nave of the church, near the second northern (left) pillar, there is a late Baroque pulpit, made approximately in the years 1760-1762…

Pipe organ

There was a pipe organ in the church as early as in the 17th century. It is an inalienable element of the musical setting of services…

Pews

In the church, there are antique wooden pews, decorated with woodcarving ornaments…

The eternal lamp before the main altar

Among the traditional silver votive offerings donated to the Mother of God, there are eternal lamps filled with oil…

Music balconies in the presbytery

In the presbytery of the basilica, on the western side, on each wall there is a small balcony from 1695.

Small organ

In the church presbytery, in the southern (right) music loft, there is a small organ.

Music loft

On the western wall, above the entrance to the basilica, there is a music loft ,extending along the width of all the aisles…

Portal to the chapel of the Mother of God

Near the main entrance to the church, in the northern (left) aisle, there is a passage leading to the vestibule of the chapel of the Miraculous Image.

Entrance portal

In the nave, on the western side, under the music loft, there is the entrance portal, made approximately in the years 1760-1762 of colourful artificial marble with gilding…

Portals of side aisles

In the aisles, in the first spans from the eastern side, (looking from the presbytery), there are two Rococo portals from around 1760, made of multicolour marble and partially gilded.

Portals on the sides of the altar

In the presbytery, on both sides of the main altar, there are two Baroque portals made of grey artificial marble, probably in the years 1720-1730…

Portal to the vestry

In the northern (left) wall of the presbytery there is an architectural early Baroque portal leading to the vestibule preceding the vestry…

Interior architecture

The church interior was given a new shape in the years 1690-1693, during a reconstruction following a fire…

Architecture

The church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross and the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, adjacent to the chapel of the Miraculous Image, is an oriented, originally Gothic building…

History

The first, wooden church on the Jasna Góra hill was erected probably around the mid- 13th century…

Stucco decoration of the vaults

Sumptuous stucco decoration of the vaults of the presbytery and of the nave body of the church was made in the years 1693-1696, together with a whole new decor, following a fire of the church in 1690.

Stucco decoration of the eighteenth century

In the eighteenth century, the decoration of the church was supplemented with elements in Regency and Rococo styles.

Polychromy of the presbytery

Paintings on the vault of the church presbytery, executed by Karol Dankwart in the years 1694-1695, are arranged in the thematic series of the history, glory and triumph of the Holy Cross.

Main altar

The whole eastern wall of the basilica presbytery is filled by a late Baroque main altar, funded by the Mazowsze Voivode, Stanisław Chomętowski, designed by the Warsaw architect…

Main altar – continued

The late Baroque main altar, architectural, supported on a high pedestal, with a sarcophagus-like slab, contains a sculpture scene of the Assumption and Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Altar of Saint Joachim

Both late Baroque altars near the rainbow arch were erected on the initiative of the Pauline Provincial, Father Konstanty Moszyński, around 1728, probably in the workshop of Adam Karinger from Wrocław.

Altar of Saint Anne

Both late Baroque altars near the rainbow arch were erected on the initiative of the Pauline Provincial, Father Konstanty Moszyński, around 1728, probably in the workshop of Adam Karinger from Wrocław.

Altar of Saint John of Nepomuk

At the eastern walls of side aisles there are Regency style altars, erected on the initiative of the Pauline Provincial and Prior, Father Stanisław Bronikowski, in the years 1731-1739.

Altar of Saint Joseph

At the eastern walls of side aisles there are Regency style altars, erected on the initiative of the Pauline Provincial and Prior, Father Stanisław Bronikowski in the years 1731-1739.

The altar of the Adoration of the Shepherds

At the wall in the third span of the northern (left) aisle there is a Rococo altar, approximately from the years 1760-1762.

Altar of Saint Augustine

At the wall in the third span of the northern (left) aisle there is a Rococo altar, approximately from the years ok. 1760-1762.

Altar of the Adoration of the Magi

At the wall, in the third span of the southern (right) aisle, there is a Rococo altar, approximately from the years 1760-1762.

Altar of Saint Mary Magdalene

Under the music loft there are two early Baroque altars of 1649, made of black marble from Dębnica, with elements of colourful marble on pedestals.

Altar of Saint Casimir

Under the music loft, there are two early Baroque altars of 1649, made of black marble from Dębnica, with elements of colourful marble on pedestals.

Chapel of Holy Relics and Holy Guardian Angels

At the southern aisle of the basilica, there is a two-storey chapel of the Holy Relics (below) and Holy Guardian Angels (above).

Portal

From the southern aisle of the church, into the two-storey chapel of Holy Relics and Holy Guardian Angels, a monumental architectural Baroque portal leads, made of black marble from Dębnica in 1666.

Grille in the portal

Entrances to the chapels of Holy Relics and Holy Guardian Angels are closed with decorative wrought grilles, which, similarly to the railing on both sides of the descent into the lower chapel, come from 1678.

Chapel of Holy Relics – decorations

On the lower storey of the two-storey chapel at the southern (right) aisle of the basilica, the chapel of the Holy Relics is located since 1666.

Chapel of Holy Relics – main altar

In the chapel of the Holy Relics, on the walls closing the arms of the cross, altars from the years 1817-1818 are composed into the panelling.

Chapel of Holy Relics – Altar of Saint Apollonia

In the chapel of the Holy Relics, on the wall closing the left arm of the cross, an altar is composed into the panelling, coming from the years 1817-1818…

Chapel of Holy Relics – Altar of Saint Valentine

In the chapel of the Holy Relics, on the wall closing the left arm of the cross, an altar is composed into the panelling, coming from the years 1817-1818…

Relics

In the chapel of the Holy Relics, in glass cases on the walls, in the altars and in the reliquaries standing on them, coming from the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous relics of saints, among others…

Chapel of Holy Guardian Angels

Above the chapel of the Holy Relics at the southern aisle of the basilica, there is a chapel of three invocations: of Holy Guardian Angels…

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – polychromies of the vault

The vault of the chapel of the Holy Guardian Angels is covered with polychromies made in 1759, probably by monastery painters, Friars Antoni and Wojciech Dobrzeniewscy.

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – main altar

On the southern wall of the chapel, opposite the entrance, there is the main altar made of black marble from Dębnica, made in 1759 by the stone mason Tomasz Górecki.

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – side altar

On the eastern (left) wall of the chapel there is a side altar of black marble from Dębnica, made in 1759 by the stone mason Tomasz Górecki.

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – tombstone of Prince Stanisław Wincenty Jabłonowski

At the western (right) wall of the chapel, there is the tombstone of Prince Stanisław Wincenty Jabłonowski (1694-1754), Voivode of Rawa…

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – interior architecture

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels, situated above the chapel of the Holy Relics at the southern aisle of the basilica, was rebuilt in the years 1751-1754.

The chapel of Saint Guardian Angels – small music loft

Above the entrance to the chapel, there is a small music loft, accessible by the stairs in the right pillar.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – history

Shortly after the establishment of the monastery in Jasna Góra in 1382 and the Pauline Fathers settling there, the first chapel was built to house…

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – interior architecture

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit, situated at the southern (right) aisle of the church, on the northern side, was erected on the square plan, covered with a dome on pendentives.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – stucco work

The main creator of the stucco decorations in the chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit was Franciszek Zaor, a Kraków stucco maker, active in the years 1664-1674.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – the main altar

The altars, made entirely of marble, composed into the architecture of the interior of the Chapel, were created simultaneously with the rest of the decor, that is, in the years 1644-1676.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – polychromies

The painting decoration of the chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit was executed by the brothers Antoni and Wojciech Dobrzeniewscy in the second half of the eighteenth century.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – left altar

The side altars were made contemporaneously to the main altar. They are identically constructed.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – right altar

The side altars are made contemporaneously to the main altar. They are identically constructed.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – portal

From the southern aisle of the basilica, into the chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit, a monumental architectural Baroque portal leads, made of black marble from Dębnica…

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – grille

The entrance to the chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit is closed by a decorative double gate of wrought iron, coming from 1670.

The chapel of Saint Paul the First Hermit – Pews

In the chapel, there are historic pews from around half of the 18th century, decorated with carved Regency and Rococo ornaments, probably created by Antoni Rotter, a monastery carpenter.

The chapel of Saint Anthony – interior architecture

The Baroque chapel of Saint Anthony of Padua is located in the basement of the northern (left) annex to the tower, erected approximately in the years 1617-1620.

The chapel of Saint Anthony – stucco work and polychromies

The interior of the chapel of St. Anthony of Padua is decorated with sumptuous Baroque stucco work coming from the years 1693-1696…

The chapel of Saint Anthony – altar

On the northern wall of the chapel, opposite the entrance, there is a late Baroque altar of colourful artificial marble, made around 1730.

The chapel of Saint Anthony – grille

The chapel of Saint Anthony of Padua is separated from the vestibule by an entrance arcade closed with a wrought iron Baroque grille…

The chapel of Saint Anthony – painting on the side wall

In the niche with a semicircular topping in the eastern (right) wall of the chapel, fitted to its shape, there is a Baroque painting…

Vestry – architecture

Pilgrims enter the church from the south, through Mannerist-Baroque vestibule, adjacent to an annex of the tower.

Vestibule – polychromies

The vestibule is decorated with polychromies created in two stages, presently thoroughly repainted.

Vestibule – portal, the lower section

The main entrance to the church leads through a monumental Mannerist portal of the vestibule, made approximately in 1631, by a stone masonry workshop from Pińczów (Błażej Gocman’s?).

Vestibule – portal, the finial

In the lower section of the high finial of the portal, there are three conch-shaped niches in rectangular framing.

Church vestibule with the inner dome

In the basement of the tower, between the annexes, there is a vestibule covered with an inner elliptical dome, opening to the upper storey with an oval skylight…

Tabernacle

On the slab of the main altar of the basilica, there is a modern gilded bronze tabernacle which comes from the 20th century.

Polychromy of the nave body

The paintings in the medallions on the vaults of the church aisles, executed by Karol Dankwart in the years 1694-1695, are devoted to the glory of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Polychromy – division of iconography

The painting decoration of the church by Karol Dankwart, which comes from the years 1694-1695, is divided into two main thematic series, connected with the double dedication of the church…